Sunday, February 12, 2012

LAP to Autonomous and then some


I figured I'd post this as its something that will need to be done from time to time along the way to CCIE Wireless.  I've got this process memorized and its only a google search away but I figured I might as well document it as I start some study on Autonomous AP configuration today.  This is relevant to 1140 AP's and other models are similar with minor file name changes.


1. Set PC IP to 10.0.0.2
2. Rename IOS to c1140-k9w7-tar.default  <- notice NO file extension (Make sure the file extension is shown if using windows.  Verify this if you get file not found errors later when AP tries to contact TFTP Server)
3. Start TFTP Server
4. Power on AP while holding the mode button (light blinks blue).  Hold the button until the light turns red then release.
5. AP boots on 10.0.0.1 and broadcasts to tftp for file above.

For troubleshooting/information watch the TFTP server output/logging as well as hook up console cable and watch the console window. At this point you should see the AP extracting files from the image in the console.

6. Once complete the AP boots the Autonomous image.
Upon bootup the default password is Cisco (Capital C)
Default IP is set to obtain via DHCP

Basic Configuration:

Assign IP address
conf t
int bvi 1
ip address IPADDRESS SUBNET

After IP assigned telnet is enabled with Username Cisco (capital C) and password Cisco (Capital C)

Optional:
config t
line vtp 0 15
no exec-timeout (prevents sessions from expiration. I enable this while I'm studying so I don't keep getting kicked out of my sessions)

No comments:

Post a Comment